I remember a 90’s episode of Blind Date (or maybe it was the 80’s? Answers on a postcard please!!), where a contestant described himself as a “Vision Technician” which in reality was a window cleaner and that little amusing memory has stuck with me!
I’m one of these people who can see humour in almost every situation and with job titles on people’s business cards, there’s always the chance to be creative, politically correct or just plain silly!
You may have read recently how the BBC have been criticised for having 4500 job titles, 2000 of which are managers! See HERE on the article. Now we wonder why the BBC has a huge budget deficit problem but that’s a whole other story!
So when you are designing your new business cards for your business and decide to get a little creative, think carefully about the perceptions of your title to the recipients of your business cards!
I think there is often far too many uses of the word “solution” in business as well as the word “manager” as the BBC knows, having over 2000 managers ! Vision technician always made me smile but being overly complex can look bewildering and I am often a big fan of the “it does exactly what it says on the tin” school.
What may have started as a bit of fun, could cause certain embarrassment or make you a laughing stock….
So feel free to be a little creative, just don’t get carried away!
TOP 20 silly job titles:
1. Vision Clearance Engineer ? window cleaner
2. Education Centre Nourishment Production Assistant ? dinner lady
3. Waste Removal Engineer ? binman
4. Domestic Engineer ? housewife
5. Knowledge Navigator ? teacher
6. Flueologist ? chimney sweep
7. Stock Replenishment Adviser ? supermarket shelf stacker
8. Head of Verbal Communications ? receptionist/secretary
9. Petroleum Transfer Engineer ? petrol station worker
10. Foot Health Gain Facilitator ? chiropodist
11. Coin Facilitation Engineer ? toll booth collector
12. Cash Relation Officer ? banker
13. Environment Improvement Technician ? cleaner
14. Revenue Protection Officer ? transport ticket inspector
15. Technical Horticultural Maintenance Officer ? gardener
16. Wastewater Treatment Officer ? sewage worker
17. Crockery Cleansing Operative ? washer-up
18. Space Consultant ? estate agent
19. Media Distribution Officer ? paperboy
20. Dispatch Services Facilitator ? postroom worker
If you have a job role within a larger business that means you only ever give your business cards to someone within the business, then the risk is limited all you could suffer is a little bit of banter from your colleagues. The last thing you want is for clients to feel the same!!
Have fun and don’t forget, at PrintRepublic you can choose to have your business cards designed for free.